Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Product Review: Mt Olive Sweet Salad Peppers

Attempt #2 at the Food Blogger thing.

Food Bloger. Fod Blooger. I like that better. I'm gonna be a Fod Blooger.

I'm currently drinking some of that new 1.75% Maxwell House coffee. It's gross, but has me pretty cranked for a 1pm coffee.

But I'm not reviewing coffee today (maybe later). Today I'm going to put forward my two cents on Mt Olive Sweet Salad Peppers.

Wasn't Mt Olive where Jesus gave his speech?

I think everyone likes sandwiches. We all like our own type of sandwich, of course. But I feel confident that everyone has to eat sandwiches sometime. Or burgers, ya? Does everyone eat some kind of burger? Of course we do. I obviously only eat the veggie burgers, but I like to doll them up the same way you nasty carnivores doll up your Cow Paddy. 

 Maybe some (vegan) mayo? Lettuce or Spinach? Tomato? What else? Ketchup, Mustard? Sauerkraut? The list goes on. 

 Well, I like to use Sweet Pepper slices.

I'm sure you've come to recognize that dinner plate.

These peppers add a nice little tang to my meal. 

I'm not the best at describing a unique taste, especially while drinking coffee. How the hell am I supposed to remember EXACTLY what they taste like. 

But I can tell you, they're a little sweet and a little tangy with just a hint of onion going on.

The product is indeed Peppers, but they're pickled. They're good. If you don't like peppers or onions or though, you won't like these. Probably. And you probably don't like sauerkraut? (Side note, the Sweet Salad Peppers don't have the same gastrointestinal issues as the kraut often does)

Peppers and Onions

I tried finding an image of the ingredient list, to no avail. So I had to poke around a bit and found this list, which does match the in-copy-able image on Mt. Olives' site.

Ingredients

Banana Peppers, Onions, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Vinegar, Salt, Mustard Seeds, Calcium Chloride, 0.1% Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Celery Seeds, Sodium Bisulfite (Preservative), and Yellow 5.

Serving Size: 1 oz (28g, about 7 pieces)
Amount per Serving
Calories                    40Kcal 2%
Calories from Fat    0Kcal 0%
Total Fat                  0g 0%
Saturated Fat           0g 0%
Trans Fat                  0g 0%
Cholesterol               0mg 0%
Sodium                      180mg 8%
Total Carbohydrate  9g 4%
Dietary Fiber            0g 0%
Added Sugars           3.5g 15%
Sugars                      7g 16%
Protein                      0g 0%
Vitamin A                 100IU 2%
Vitamin C                 3.6mg 5%
Calcium                     0mg 0%
Iron                            0mg 0%
Vitamin D                 0IU 0%
Not exactly a high nutrition food source, but it's a fucking condiment!

My biggest problem with this labeling is the serving size. Seven pieces. Seven? What am I a damn rabbit? Each piece is about the diameter and thickness of a nickel. 


 For some reason it didn't show up, but Mt Olive says you'll typically get seven servings of seven pieces per jar. So approx. 49 chunks of pepper in a 12oz jar. This averages to 8cents per piece of pepper. (There is no cent symbol on my keyboard...) These retail about 3.89 per jar.

 I'm gonna tell ya, no way in hell is a human serving size seven gahdam pieces. Try 20, which brings your single condiment value up to $1.60. 

Just throwing fancy Business Math math at you here, try to keep up.

And just like that, we're now at 2.5-ish servings per jar. If you eat two sandwiches or burgers per meal, as I do, you are now stuck with a half a bloody serving of peppers clogging up the fridge.

 I don't like to bitch without offering options to the said problem. Two immediate solutions come to mind. Three, three immediate solutions come to mind:

 1) Use a bigger serving. Just go with two servings per jar. Not really cost effective, but I hate useless clutter in the fridge.
 2) Get a bigger jar. This one's probably the best option, if the jar fits in the fridge.
 3) Don't even buy this product. Bad option, these are tasty.

Once again, I'm skint, so I won't be buying these for some time.

TOO EXPENSIVE MT OLIVE!!!

But man, if you have the extra money to throw into some garnish, this is a pretty good way to go. Add a little bit of summer time flavor to an otherwise boring sandwich, put some flare into a salad or just eat them straight out of the jar.

The Mt Olive webpage has some recipes for you foodies. I don't do recipes, so let me know what you think.

Thanks for reading the Fod Blooger.



3 comments:

  1. Thank you sir or madam! I try my best to bring the working man's point of view to the working man.

    ReplyDelete